The family of a missing man has described the moment they lost their beloved son.
The father, who has autism, said the boy had been ‘in the best possible mood’ when he went missing on the weekend.
‘He was in a great mood and was having fun, he was going to school and having fun,’ his father, John, told the ABC.
He said his son had been living with his mother and his grandmother.
The family said they lost touch with their son over the weekend after he did not respond to their calls.
The ABC understands John had called his family at least five times from a distance.
The day before the family said he was gone, he called his father from the bedroom window and told him he was sick.
‘We just don’t know what happened to him,’ John said.
‘I just don`t know what to say.’
The family told the broadcaster the boy was in the family room, and his father found him wearing a hoodie and holding a camera.
John said the family was now considering taking legal action.
He did not know where his son was, but he said he hoped to see him soon.
The parents told the news agency the family had been searching for their son since Sunday.
‘This has been a traumatic week for our family, we had not heard from him in two weeks,’ the family told The ABC.
‘It’s a very difficult time for us as a family, and we want to make sure we do everything we can to get our son back.’
‘This isn’t about money’ John told the agency his son went missing when he left work on Saturday night.
‘When he didn’t come home, we thought maybe he had fallen ill, but we didn’t think anything of it until later that night,’ he said.
The man, who does not wish to be named, had been staying at his grandmother’s house, the family, who are also parents of a child with autism, told The Australian.
‘They were both upset about it,’ the father said.
He then went to the police station where they found him at a hotel.
He was taken to hospital and a warrant was issued for his arrest.
Police said they had not found his phone, and would not comment on what they were doing with the phone.
‘His family were not able to contact him or contact him to see if he was okay, and when he was in hospital, he did say he was fine,’ Detective Inspector David Kelly said.
It is understood the man is not the father of the boy.
The boy was aged between 13 and 15.
Detective Kelly said the man had not been seen by family members since he left home on Saturday.
‘In the last three days, we’ve spoken to a number of family members who have expressed concern for him and they have been told that there has been no contact since he went to hospital,’ he told the program.
‘As such, he is not a suspect.’
John said he would ask anyone who was in contact with him to contact the family or police.
The search is continuing, but the ABC understands the family has been unable to find a phone number or address to call.
‘There’s no phone number, no email, no social media, no website, so it’s very frustrating for us,’ John told The Independent.
‘So this is why we’re going to have to start searching again.’